Bringing Independence Home
Home Builders Foundation changes lives by providing home modifications which help individuals remain in their home, regain independence and dignity. The freedom to move about your home, reach into cupboards, or use your own bathroom are tasks many take for granted. For people with disabilities, these challenges are real.
Making a home accessible brings opportunities:
- Corporate and Community teams provide labor and materials to complete the many projects throughout the year.
- Our projects range from small modifications to major improvements including bathroom remodels, kitchen modifications and ramps.
What We Do and Don’t Do
This program is for home owners exhibiting a financial need in the 8-county (Adams, Arapahoe, Boulder, Broomfield, Denver, Douglas, Elbert and Jefferson) Denver metro area that are in need of home modifications related to accessibility. The HBF relies on a committed network of volunteers and suppliers to do the work so there is no cost to the recipient. However, because we rely on volunteers, the waiting period averages 3-4 months for project completion.
• Install a ramp to make entering/ exiting the home with a wheelchair, scooter, walker or cane safer and easier
• Modify a bathroom to make it more accessible for a wheelchair and/or walker, i.e. portable shower bench, tub cut, curbed shower or roll-in shower (depending on need)
• Widen door frames (and replacing with a new door) to make passing through with a wheelchair or walker easier
• Replace carpet with hard flooring (usually vinyl or laminate) to make navigation with a wheelchair or walker easier
• Install grab bars to make entering/ exiting the home, bathroom, etc. easier
• Install handrails to make entering/ exiting the home easier
• Install lifts (situation-specific) to make navigation from floor to floor within a home safer and easier
• Removing thresholds to make navigation in/out of the house or room-to-room easier
• Major, minor or emergency home repairs
• Handyman/ maintenance work
• Electrical work (unless it’s related to one of the above accessible modifications)
• Plumbing work (unless it’s related to one of the above accessible modifications)
• Roofing work
• Landscaping/ yard work
• Appliance repair
• HVAC installation/ repair
• Countertops and cabinets (unless it’s related to one of the above accessible modifications)
• Walk-in tubs
• Provide accessible equipment (i.e. ADA toilet, wheelchairs, etc.)
• Work on rental properties
• Work on homes without insurance
• Work on homes outside of the 8-county Denver metro area (Adams, Arapahoe, Boulder, Broomfield, Denver, Douglas, Elbert, Jefferson)
The lists above are representative, not exhaustive. There may be modifications that the HBF does or doesn’t do that aren’t listed above. The most important criteria for assistance in the HBF’s program is that the modification that is related to accessibility (movement within the home or in/out of the home). If you have any questions please call 303-551-6721 to discuss.
How Funds Are Used
Due to the generosity from so many trades and suppliers, the Home Builders Foundation can complete a modification project at a fraction of the cost that it would normally cost retail. In fact, every $1 the HBF has granted towards a project in the last 5 years has turned into $7.50 of retail value!